Sunday, April 20, 2008

If ABC ran the Lincoln-Douglas Debates

If ABC ran the Lincoln-Douglas Debates: "The Lincoln-Douglas debates, as conducted by ABC:


LINCOLN: In my opinion, slavery will not cease, until a crisis shall have been reached and passed. 'A house divided against itself cannot stand.' I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free.


STEPHANOPOULOS: Excuse me, did an Elijah H. Johnson attend your church?


LINCOLN: When I was a boy in Illinois forty years ago, yes. I think he was a deacon.


STEPHANOPOULOS: Are you aware that he regularly called Kentucky ‘a land of swine and whores’?


LINCOLN: Sounds right -- his ex-wife was from Kentucky.


STEPHANOPOULOS: Why did you remain in the church after hearing those statements?


LINCOLN: I was eight.


DOUGLAS: This is an important question George -- it's an issue that certainly will be raised in the fall.


STEPHANOPOULOS: Do you denounce him?


LINCOLN: I’d like to get back to the divided house if I may.



Link

(via Making Light)







"



(Via Boing Boing.)

No comments: