Friday, February 12, 2010

How My Little Pony turned a little girl into a computer scientist Boing Boing

How My Little Pony turned a little girl into a computer scientist

By Maggie Koerth-Baker at 7:52 AM February 10, 2010

mylittleponymath.jpg

On the drive back from Madison yesterday, I listened to a lecture by MIT psychologist Sherry Turkle on the very personal relationships we have with objects, particularly the objects that help us think. Turkle talked about her 2008 book, Falling for Science, a collection of interviews with MIT students, and established scientists, about the objects that first drew their minds to math, computers, science and technology. Some were what you'd expect: Broken radios, Legos, a computer. But one story, about a My Little Pony, really caught my attention.

dedicated to my favorite My Little Pony fan...

Posted via web from mclasen's posterous

No comments: